Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Student Perspective: Eileen Alvarez

I can’t say I’ve never thought about my future. Actually, if I was being completely honest, it’s always on my mind, like a puppet master pulling strings influencing my every action. I guess it makes sense for my brain to be hardwired that way since I’d decided before I was five that I’d wanted to become a pediatrician. My every decision has pretty much been aimed toward that goal. I knew what I wanted so when I heard that Pikes Peak Prep had a middle college program I was thrilled. How great it would be if I had gotten into college as merely a sophomore! I became determined. Finally, I’d gotten the news I’d only ever dreamed of. Ms. Nace crowed proudly the accomplishment of my acceptance. I was going to be attending Pikes Peak Community College with the other middle college students. I’d worked my tail off and the teachers were forever offering their generous encouragement. They treated us with respect and dignity.

Responsibility was thrust upon the student body the day we received Ipads. Things were changing and the teachers’ positive outlook grew on each of us. They told us how we would be able to do so much more; how our lives would be easier, brighter, more fun, and things were looking up. Our current events, our work, some of our labs, even the internet would be at the tips of our fingers; Facebook and other social things were blocked of course. Those were just a blip on out windshields though. How much cooler could it get?! Things were easier, but that didn’t hinder us from hands on. Quite the contrary, it required us to do more. We were finally getting what we so fervently hoped for. Our futures were that much brighter.
-Eileen Alvarez

No comments:

Post a Comment